Skip to main content

Interview with Her Well Being



Interview with Kate Branch, Creator of “40 Years Around the Sun”

I have recently connected with Kate Branch, who studied art therapy at university, is an avid photographer, and has created a stunning art project to honour her upcoming 40th birthday- 40 Years Around the Sun.

If you’ve ever wondered what art therapy is, and how it can enhance our wellbeing, read on below as Kate shares her experience with us and how it has become an integral part of her self-expression, self-care and self-discovery.

Can you tell us Kate, what inspired the creation of 40 Years Around the Sun?

As my 40th birthday approaches amid a pandemic and without the option of a big party or far-flung travel adventure on the cards, I’ve found another novel (COVID-friendly) way to celebrate. I’ve decided to utilise my skills as a photographer, bundled together with my passion for travel, to create a visual compilation of my favourite sunrises and sunsets from around the globe.

Entitled ‘40 Years Around the Sun’, this video art project is a celebration of my experience of forty years around this dazzling star, featuring 40 photos, all taken from my beloved Leica camera.

It is a revival of my most treasured travel memories, in video form, a selection of my best photography work throughout the years, featuring the burning orb that connects us all: The sun. Even though I can’t physically travel with family or friends, I can still take them on a virtual tour back through time to enjoy scenic moments from across the Earth.

Even more exciting is the fact that I’ve decided to donate the entire project to the Wikimedia Commons Project so that anyone, anywhere in the world, will be able to access and utilise these photos freely.

What a beautiful way to celebrate such a special birthday! You studied art therapy at university. Can you tell us a little about what it is and how it benefits our wellbeing?

In the world of art therapy, a licensed and credentialed art therapist can guide an individual to uncover messages and symbols in various art forms while digging deep into a person’s innermost feelings by examining the psychological meaning behind their creations. This form of expression is a proven treatment method for underlying issues and can help clients uncover different aspects of their personalities.

What are your tips for women who would like to try art therapy to enhance their wellbeing? Where should they start?

Art Therapist Demaris S. Wehr (1988) believed that people are shaped by an “ongoing conversation” between themselves and society. Art therapy processes can facilitate self-empowerment by providing people with a space to redefine themselves. So, my tip would be start creating that space even for 15 minutes per day.

What is your personal experience of using art therapy to enhance your wellbeing? What types of art have you tried, and which have you found the most beneficial?

My background is in photo media. So a great way for me to explore is with collage or capturing images that I see as symbolic. When I was completing a Master’s degree in Art Therapy at University, I was working with adults with dementia. Despite the fact that they were often confined for longer periods to their rooms, what really struck me was that we would spend much of this time poring over their life photo albums which seemed to trigger happy memories.

Although we are in very different circumstances in the current climate, I’ve still found a parallel here in the fact that during a tougher year, with lockdown restrictions in play for many of us, I too have sourced solace in reliving my own photographic memories. I’ve found that my past photos have helped me transcend the current situation and take me to another place. This project, therefore, came about in the hope that perhaps I can also help take others away on a virtual travel journey with me. In fact, the quote that came to mind for me over and again whilst I was working on this project was – “Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory” – Dr. Seuss.

Why do you think art is so therapeutic?

Telling stories is a value held by every culture at all points in time. Art can be a means to share our current life stories. Expressing oneself through art creation helps people gain perspective and meaning of their lives, and allows a sharing of wisdom. Art therapy creates a safe place for clients to tell their own stories in a life review. Allowing reflection and self-awareness honor their histories sharing leads to a sense of universality and emotional connection between client and therapist.

What does wellbeing look and feel like for you?

Wellbeing for me has three parts and I’m happy to share them with you.

The first part is to have one human connection. Nothing can help on a bad day like calling a friend. Nothing can make you feel more loved than your children cuddling you. Nothing can make you feel safer than knowing that you have good family and friends around you whom you can say anything to and feel safe. You can get all the massages in the world. Unless you don’t have real human connection, you don’t have wellbeing.

The second part is what the Greeks called “Eudaimonia” which can, kind of, be translated as “life’s purpose.” I see it as a practice you have that makes you comfortably small. A practice that reduces your problems and put them into the larger picture of life. Some people stargaze, for me, I capture sunsets and sunrises.

The third part is a real tough one, but I feel like it must be talked about. The reason I resonated with Her. Wellbeing. is when I saw an amazing Instagram post where you wrote about “financial freedom” and you said, “financial stability can have such a flow on affect for our overall wellbeing.” It’s not particularly flashy but it’s a very important area for me. I’m quite a finance and economics geek.

You’re a mum to two, has your concept of wellbeing changed or shifted since becoming a mum? How?

That’s a very good question. Children absolutely shifted my concept of wellbeing. My 20s were filled with travel and living life. But once you have children, you become responsible for another life. It forces you to be more responsible, less adventurous, and healthier. It probably adds 20 years to your life.

Has your background in art therapy come into play in your role as a mum? Are there particular art projects that you have found beneficial for your children’s wellbeing?

Ok, don’t let them draw on the walls. But create a space where they can safely play with paint or Play-Doh, and just get a little bit messy.

Do you make time for self-care?

It’s a little embarrassing but for me, self-care lies in the bath listening to 1990s new age music. I’m talking about Massive Attack and Enya, and dreaming away- it’s my perfect remedy!

Do you have any hobbies?

In my life, to date, I have been lucky enough to bear witness to 14,600 sunrises and sunsets; as our marbled planet orbits this awe-inspiring star. As a professional photographer, I’ve always had a huge fascination for this burning bright orb, which has been reflected through my ongoing compulsion to capture the moments at dawn and dusk where we see it, in all its fiery glory, rise and lower before our eyes. Through the lens, I aim to catch and savour a moment in time, showcasing the beauty of this celestial body; an integral part of all our lives- that is my hobby. And it will be around longer than me!

What is your top tip for turning a bad day around?

Nothing like a cup of coffee or, if, it’s later in the day; a cup of chamomile tea.

How do you find a sense of balance in life?

That’s a very good question. I’m not particularly a gym junkie. But walking in the outdoors for me, it can really make me feel alive and put me in a better mood.

What is happiness to you?

The ultimate end of human acts is ‘Eudaimonia’, happiness in the sense of living well, which all men desire; all acts are but different means chosen to arrive at it- Hannah Arendt.

What 3 things can’t you live without?
The special people in my life
My outdoor adventures
Sugar

What’s the most significant thing your children have taught you?
To be silly again
To run around and be a bit funny, and not take myself so seriously

How do you relax?

On a special occasion to a Thai massage. Real Thai massage incorporates yoga and massage together. It’s such a special and amazing treat.

Thank you so much to Kate for your time and openness in sharing the above with us.


To view the stunning photos that make up 40 Years Around the Sun, head over to;

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrSz9Ig7pXQo5LHKXZN6xog

Kate has very generously donated the entire project to the Wikimedia Commons Project https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Kate_Branch_Photography, so that anyone, anywhere in the world, will be able to access and utilise these photos freely.


https://herwellbeing.com.au/interview-with-kate-branch-creator-of-40-years-around-the-sun/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jean Claude and Kate Branch at Kirribilli house

As a mother of two nothing is more important to me than our children. My husband Jean-Claude and I attended a fundraiser at Kirribilli house that raised money for five wonderful children charities. We were honoured to personally meet The Honourable Malcom Turnball, Prime Minister of Australia and his amazing wife Mrs Lucy Turnball.  Jean-Claude and I were also honoured to listen to the address of the Honourable Dame Marie Bashir who also supports these charities especially Central Coast Kids in Need. Once again her Excellency Dame Marie Bashir said that children are the most precious resource we have. And that is very true. We are very thankful to attend such an amazing evening. Below are the amazing charities that funds were raised for. http://www.bearcottage.chw.edu.au/   Bear Cottage is the only children’s hospice in NSW, one of only two in Australia, and the only one in the world affiliated with a children’s hospital.  We provide support, respite and end

Porsche Power

Thank you Porsche Power magazine for publishing my photograph. 

40 years around the sun

  40 Years Around The Sun A Photographic Celebration of My Favourite Sunrises and Sunsets From Around the Globe As my 40th birthday approaches, in the midst of a pandemic, and without the option of a big party or far flung travel adventure on the cards, I’ve found another novel (COVID-friendly) way to celebrate. I’ve decided to utilise my skills as a photographer, bundled together with my passion for travel, to create a visual compilation of my favourite sunrises and sunsets from around the globe. Entitled 40 Years Around The Sun, this video art project is exactly that; a celebration of my own experience of forty years around this dazzling star, featuring 40 photos, all taken on my beloved Leica camera. It is a revival of my most treasured travel memories, in video form, a selection of my best photography work throughout the years, featuring the burning orb that connects us all; the sun. Even though I can’t physically travel with family or friends, I can still take them on a virtual